The state Department of Labor and Regulation is providing 370-thousand dollars in incentive funding to help businesses and organizations expand the number of Registered Apprenticeship programs in the state.
Businesses could apply for up to a maximum of 20-thousand dollars in funding to help offset the initial start-up costs when developing a new program.
There are more than 20 businesses and organizations receiving the incentive funding. Some in our area receiving the maximum 20-thousand dollars include the South Dakota Funeral Association of Madison for a funeral director, the Dell Rapids Veterinary Clinic for a veterinary lab animal technician, and Claims Associates of Sioux Falls for a claims adjuster.
Department of Labor and Regulation Secretary Marcia Hultman said there is a pool of untapped workers ready to learn new skills, and this will expand training opportunities, especially in rural communities.
Programs designed to increase engagement for under-represented populations such as females, Native Americans, limited-English proficient individuals, youth ages 16 to 24 and individuals with disabilities were given priority.
Incentive funding recipients, occupations and funding award include:
- 3M, Aberdeen, machine operator, $20,000
- A to Z Technology, Midland, animal care specialist, $20,000
- AKG, Mitchell, welder and CNC operator, $20,000
- Allevity, Aberdeen, family entertainment center manager, $20,000
- Banner Engineering, Aberdeen and Huron, electrical and electronic equipment assemblers, $20,000
- The Kitchen at Bear Butte Gardens, Sturgis, commercial kitchen manager, $20,000
- Black Hills Works, Rapid City, direct support professional, $20,000
- Claims Associates, Sioux Falls, claims adjuster, $20,000
- Dell Rapids Veterinary, Dell Rapids, veterinary lab animal technician, $20,000
- Foltz and Sons, Spearfish, electrician and HVAC technician, $20,000
- Hot Rod Institute, Rapid City, automotive restoration technician, $20,000
- Howe Inc., Sioux Falls, mechatronics aHVAC technicians, $10,000
- Huron Regional Medical Center, Huron, respiratory therapist, $10,000
- Lake Area Technical Institute and Terex, Watertown and Huron, field services technician and shop services technician, $10,000
- Lester Robbins, Rapid City, concrete construction form setter, $20,000
- Mabee Eye Clinic, Mitchell, paraoptometric technician, $20,000
- Masaba, Vermillion, manufacturing assembly electrician, $20,000
- Mind Blown Studio, Deadwood, hot glass gaffer, $20,000
- SD Funeral Directors Association, Madison, funeral director, $20,000
- TelNet PC, Rapid City, computer bench technician, $20,000