In a span of just a few weeks, two homes in Lake County were destroyed in explosions caused by a natural gas leak. Disasters caused by a natural gas leak are not totally uncommon. The National Fire Protection Association says about 4-thousand two hundred home fires are started every year due to gas leaks.
Even so, Madison Fire Chief Randy Minnaert says even one of these events is not something they’ve ever seen.
Minnaert says these incidents are a good reminder for everyone to keep meters clear of snow, for both your and firefighters safety.
Minnaert says if you smell gas in or around your home, it’s best to get it checked out immediately.
No one was seriously injured in either explosion. Both incidents remain under investigation.