The Madison Fire Department responded to a call Saturday morning in Madison.  The call was for a report of a house in the 200 block of Northwest 7th Street that was full of black smoke.  Madison Fire Chief Randy Minnaert said the resident of the home had been gone for a short time and returned to find the house full of black smoke and the smoke detectors going off.  Minnaert said that the resident had noticed that the stove in the home was turned on and had started some items on and around it on fire or melted some items from the heat.  

He said that actual fire damage was limited to the kitchen area of the home, but the rest of the house received substantial smoke or other damage.  Firefighters were on scene for just more than a half-hour. Minnaert said the resident was renting the home and was moving into another of the landlord’s homes after the fire.