Lightning causes fire in hay bales

Lightning caused a fire in a stack of hay bales on the north side of Madison this (Wednesday) morning.  The Madison Fire Department responded to the Randy Wiese residence on Northeast 15th Street at around 2:30 this (Wednesday) morning.  Fire Chief Randy Minnaert said that a stack of around 200 round hay bales had been struck by lightning, causing the fire. He said that around 30-to-40 of the bales were lost in the fire.  Firefighters were on scene until around 4:40 this (Wednesday) morning. 

Madison firefighters also responded as mutual aid for the Howard Fire Department on Tuesday afternoon at around noon.  Minnaert said that it was for a structure fire at a residence along Highway 34, just west of Jake’s Corner. He said the house that burned was not occupied.